Thursday, October 4, 2018

Is This California Law The Solution To Getting Women On Boards?

This new law makes more sense than endlessly talking about female participation on corporate boards but never doing anything concrete about it.


Nope, I am not going to say a peep about last week’s goings-on in the Senate Judiciary Committee. If my head didn’t explode last week, it probably will this week. I learned a valuable lesson early in my career (i.e., a long time ago): if you don’t have anything to contribute to the conversation (and I think what I would say has already been said a thousandfold), then STFU, which is exactly what I am doing.
As you know, I am very California-centric. This state, for all its faults (earthquakes and others) and foibles, is often a trailblazer, leading the way in starting conversations and changing viewpoints. And we’ve done it again. Governor Jerry Brown just signed a bill that is going to raise a lot of hackles, is probably unconstitutional as he admitted in his signing statement, but it’s kind of a “what the hell, let’s see what happens” attitude. Good for him and good for this state.  At least people will start talking about the issue.

What’s the bill that he signed? It’s legislation, effective January 1, 2019, that mandates that publicly traded companies based here in California (i.e., location of a principal office as set forth in the Form 10-K) must have female representation on their boards, one by the end of 2019, and up to three by 2021, depending on the number of board seats.

No comments:

Post a Comment