Tuesday, August 28, 2018

Litigation: Enforcement of foreign judgments in Ireland

Brussels Regime
For judgments and proceedings commenced before January 10 2015, the Brussels I Regulation (44/2001) applies. The Brussels I Regulation was implemented into Irish law by the European Communities (Civil and Commercial Judgment) Regulations 2002 (SI 52/2002).
For proceedings commenced after January 10 2015 the enforcement of EU judgments is governed by the Brussels I Recast Regulation (1215/2012) (the Brussels I Recast Regulation and the Brussels I Regulation are known as the ‘Brussels Regime’), which was implemented into Irish law by the European Union (Civil and Commercial Judgments) Regulations 2015 (SI 6/2015). The objective of the Brussels I Recast Regulation was to make the recognition and enforcement of EU judgments more straightforward and it has dispensed with the need to bring any application to court in respect of judgments to which it applies.

No comments:

Post a Comment