Sunday, August 18, 2024

Battle of Kursk II: Rockets as Geography Teachers


As someone with a higher education and a scientific degree, I’ve always prided myself on having a solid grasp of geography. Ukraine, for instance, has always held a distinct place in my mind - its vast lands stretching beyond Germany and England combined, taking the crown as the largest country entirely within Europe. France might give it a run for its money, but only because of those distant overseas territories.

Yet, I must admit, my familiarity with Italy’s winding roads and Austria’s alpine passes often outshone my knowledge of certain regions in my own Ukraine - places I’d never ventured to, but now know all too well.

Thanks to the full-scale, unprovoked Russian invasion, I’ve gained some rather unconventional geography teachers: Russian missiles.

First, I’ve learned the difference between a ballistic missile and a cruise missile - a distinction that, I assure you, is not just academic. Next came the lesson on Russian and Iranian missiles, each with its own deadly trajectory.

But the main thing I’ve learned is how to track the flight of missiles over Ukraine on social media and various channels. Imagine being in a bomb shelter at 3:30 in the morning, straining to determine whether a Russian missile is heading for your city - or a particular part of it. It’s like living in a twisted version of Gravity’s Rainbow.

We monitor these missiles as they change course mid-flight, traversing from one region of Ukraine to another. We watch where they originate—from the east, north, or south—and brace ourselves for impact. And let’s not forget the drones, those swarming, buzzing Iranian nightmares that dart across our skies like demented bumblebees.

Through this brutal education, I’ve deepened my understanding of Ukraine’s geography and been reminded, again and again, of what a vast and beautiful country it is. More importantly, I’ve found immense gratitude for the people blessed with the skill to shoot down these Russian missiles and Iranian drones.

Putin will be gone sooner or later, but Russia will remain. Time will pass, and perhaps a new Putin will emerge, sending fresh waves of Russian missiles toward Ukraine. But only the complete military defeat of Russia can ensure peaceful skies over Ukraine. Only by ending Russia’s imperialistic madness can we guarantee that our children won’t have to learn geography the way we have.

Glory to Ukraine!

No comments:

Post a Comment