Monday, November 8, 2021

Ukrainian Moto Zen after 60: Kyiv - Grossglockner (I)



 I am embarking on my first motorcycle trip on the morning of the first Sunday in July. Traditionally, the starting point is McDonald’s on the ring road. Our family trips always start here, but today I am traveling alone.

Obviously McDonald’s is not the best place to start of your journey to self-discovery. It’s so noumenal. Nothing to do with “Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance” or “On the road”“Travels with Charley” or “A Passage to India”. Moreover, nothing here resembles the inner depth and strength of Moby Dick. Not to mention the unfading “Three Men in a Boat (To Say Nothing of the Dog)”. And of course, McDonald’s is simply alien to “Don Quixote”‘s genius. (I feel it’s time to stop with literary examples. P.S. Sorry, I couldn’t resist. Perhaps this is a bit like “Persian Letters”.).

But let me remind you that this is Ukrainian Moto Zen and it always starts at McDonald’s.

Many snobs pout their lips at this point. They resent, sigh and despise. Let it be like the Beatles sang. Snobs are just the flip side of the rednecks, nothing more. McDonald’s is always McDonald’s and this place is no worse than any other place to start a trip to yourself. Besides, there is always a free toilet here, which is useful when you leave the city.

Original

No comments:

Post a Comment